Friday, December 4, 2009

Conglomeration

Things have been crazy around here for the past few weeks, and I just haven't had the time - nay, the interest to post. My intentions have been good...but when I sit down...the mood leaves. So here's a random conglomeration of thoughts and stuff...

* I went to the movies for the first time in, oh...7 years. I'm pretty sure the last thing I saw in a theater was "The Scorpion King". When I was a teenager, I loved going to the movies. Now? I just don't care. I would rather sit in the comfort of my own home to watch something that will potentially not be all that exciting. But I wanted to see "Julie and Julia" - and since my ticket was only 75 cents, it was well worth it!!

* Thanksgiving was fan-f***ing-tastic!! Seriously one of the best holiday weekends of my adult life. I got to spend time with all of my family and Jon's. It was wonderful. The kids got to play with all of their cousins, and I got to go shopping alone with my Mom. (My MIL kept my kiddos overnight while Jon was at his family's hunting cabin with his brothers.) It was just an absolutely awesome weekend!!

* I've been reading like a crazy woman since we've been home. In the last six days, I've read five books. The reading frenzy began with the third volume of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series. It ended with the four Twilight books. 99.99% of my friends had read the books and I was tired of being harassed...so I caved, and borrowed the books from my SIL. And holy poop!! They were freakin' awesome!! I read all four books in four days...and I want to read them again!

The only problem I have with actually having read the books (aside from the fact that there aren't any more in the series) are the thoughtless little jabs at my overwhelming glee. Since I get little to no free time to myself, I use books as my escape. Every time I pick up a book, it's like a wee little vacation - just for me. No kids, no hubby, no laundry, no dishes. The books I like to read (that aren't classics) are thrilling...graphic...attention-catching. Quick reads that I can totally lose myself in. I love Patterson, Koontz, Childs, Preston and Child, Rice...my list can go on. And after writing those names, I realize that I like to be scared when I read (which is weird since I loathe horror movies). I like books that take me out of my safe little world. The point I'm trying to make here is that my choosing to read a sudden pop culture phenomenon doesn't make me a moron.

* Ok...so it's December. How in the hell did that happen??

* My husband just asked me if I was blogging about his balls. I told him no. But I guess I lied...'cause here I am. Blogging about his balls.

* For the first time in 19 months, Janna has an ear infection. Her tubes are doing their job - the goo is leaking out of her head instead of settling in behind her eardrum. And it's disgusting. She'd been talking about her ears bothering her for a week or so, but she wasn't clear on whether or not it was her ear...or her earring. And since she didn't have a fever, I didn't think anything of it. On Wednesday, I noticed some rusty-greenish colored goo leaking out of her ear. I thought it was just ear wax (the Girl is the Ear Wax Queen), but I called anyway because she also had a nasty cough. Dr. Y. took one look at the ear and said, "Nope. That's an infection." By the time we left the office, the other ear was leaking, too. Good times!!

This afternoon as I was wiping her little ears clean, I realized that this wasn't the first time I had seen goop drizzling out of her ears. It's happened twice in the last few months. But because she wasn't complaining and she has a ton of sticky ear wax, I didn't think anything of it. So...if this infection doesn't clear up in the next couple days, I will be calling the ENT to make absolutely certain that her tubes are in place - and that they look like they will be in place for the rest of cold/flu season.

* I had my parent-teacher conference with Gabe's Kindergarten teacher today. It went well!! Mrs. V. is fantastic. I couldn't imagine a more perfect fit for The Boy. She's completely aware of his strengths and his weaknesses...and she works with all of them. The first words out of her mouth when I walked into the classroom were about how much she enjoyed having Gabe in her class. And it wasn't just lip service. She truly enjoys him...and that means the world to him. And to me, too. Since he's way ahead of the curve for everything they're working on, she's going to send home some extra things for him to do. She also gave me some great ideas for activities Jon and I can do with him to keep him on his toes.

* Jon just asked if I was blogging about him farting on the cat. Ummm, sure. I told him I hoped the cat scratched his previously mentioned balls.

* I'm trying to get in the holiday mood, but the weather isn't helping. I know I shouldn't complain about the fact that it's been 50+ degrees up here. But shopping for a Christmas tree without a coat on in Upstate NY is kind of depressing. But we managed, and Janna picked out her "perfectly wiggly Kiss-miss tree" this morning!! Well...that's what she calls it. I 'll post pics eventually. It looks gorgeous!!

That's about all I've got. Seacrest out.

1 comment:

MommyLisa said...

husband's of bloggers always wonder if they are in the post, don't they? goofballs! huh-huh, I said balls. ;)