Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday MEme - Pretty or Not: A Prom Story


Prom. Oh the mem'ries. Below you will Courtney in what she deemed the height of Junior Prom fashion. That red satin ballgown was my first purchase from Victoria's Secret. What? You didn't know that once upon a time they sold actual clothes? That covered more than the bottom half of a boob? Well...they did. Every year they put out a holiday dress guide...and this was in the Winter 1995 edition. And I fell in love. And, if I do say so myself, I looked pretty damned good!

My date was an ass. He was the high school boyfriend that treated me like absolute and total shit, and he was cheating on my 17 year-old self at the time. Awesome. There are pictures in my yearbook of him making fun of me behind my back while we were dancing. Again...awesome. I spent the evening crying and being miserable. But, he can suck it. 'Cause I loved this dress. And I looked fabulous!! Especially when I completed the ensemble with my Gigi's mink stole. Yeah, I was that girl. Mink, huge pearls, silk garters... but again...I looked fabulous!


After the horrific time I had at my junior prom, I decided to take a friend to my senior prom. Sure I had a crush on him - and I had a boyfriend (who was away at school) at the time, but such is life. This is what 1996's dress looked like:

Courtesy of the Deb shop. Very short, very shiny, and very blue. It also cost over $200 less than the red dress. I still wore silk garters, but the milk was replaced with more silk and the pearls with diamonds. You can't see the hair, but it was also very shiny - my french braid was wrapped in gold ribbons, and it looked awesome. I had the best time!! My girlfriends and I danced and danced, and my date was fun, too. He didn't make fun of me, he treated me like a lady, and he looked great, too. It was a fantastic night.

I don't cringe much when I look back om my prom experiences. Junior prom taught me that I didn't deserve to be treated like a chump (though I let the Tool treat me like a chump for another year), and my senior prom showed me how awesome it was to dance til my feet hurt with my buddies.

4 comments:

Adoption of Jane said...

I am burstin' out laughing at the Second pic.. kick ass girl in a prom dress!!

What a mean guy... ugh!

BNM said...

what a jerk! & who actually put that in the yearbook..ugh!
either way you looked beautiful & the 2nd pic rocks!! lol

MommyLisa said...

Love it! I did not go to Sr. Prom. blah!

Shell said...

Love that second pic!

And your first dress was so cute!