Sunday, November 4, 2007

I Won...kind of...

Yesterday was a pretty awesome day! A few of my Mommy friends and I attended the NYS MOMS Club Luncheon. I left my house at 9:50 and I got home after 5. Yes - that is an entire day with no kids! I was in heaven!

The Luncheon itself was very informative. I met lots of new people, and I obtained a plethora (I LOVE that word) of information about how to make our chapter of MOMS better than it already is. The downside of the day was that there was WAY too much estrogen in such an enclosed space. Not to degrade my fellow females, but holy crap! It sounded like a chicken farm in there! There were women of all shapes and sizes chattering non-stop. I know that I am totally guilty of running at the mouth, but some of these women put even me to shame!

One of the cool things about the Luncheon was that each chapter of MC was to bring a basket to raffle off filled with items matching the theme. This year's theme was "Coffee or Tea...MOMS Club For Me", so there were baskets filled with coffees, teas, mugs, stirrers, all kinds of wonderful things...including an IPod and a cool Jogging Stroller. I bought a bunch of raffle tickets (the money goes to a great fund supporting Moms in need), and spread my tickets through all of the baskets. Low and behold, I won one!! I got this huge basket filled with preschool books! I was thrilled! It weighed a ton, and from what I could see, the books were awesome. So I spent the rest of the afternoon revelling in my wonderfulness (I never win anything).

When I got home, I rummaged through that basket, and to my shock and dismay...

the majority of the books were USED!!! And when I say USED I mean that they were either chewed on, covered with greasy hand prints or crusty food, written in...just used.

For the amount of money I spent on raffle tickets (and I didn't spend much compared to what some of the other Moms spent), I was completely caught off guard by the condition of the stuff in my basket. I thought that because the tag on the basket said that the value of it was at least $200, all of the books would have been new. I was (and still am) pretty p'd off. Don't get me wrong...I love used stuff. I yard sale and ebay with the best of them. But when you are raffling off things, shouldn't they be new?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me?! Wretchedly USED? That is SO CRAPPY! You NEVER put used stuff in a gift basket. If you haven't already, I would contact the organizers of the event and let them know what happened. That is appauling and cheap. Used is fine if you know it's what you're getting and the condition is good. That was a real dirtbag move on that MOMS club's part, not to mention the heighth of tackiness. Could you imagine a business trying to pull off something like that? Keelie's opinion is - THAT SUCKS.

A. Nonny Mouse said...

That totally sucks! And especially when you spent the whole day looking forward to digging into that basket of good books.

I have FINALLY added you to my reader. :)