Friday, November 14, 2008

Crafty Courtney

That's what I call myself. Well, not really - but I am pretty damned crafty. Family members and friends get some sort of handmade gift for their birthdays or Christmas. I love creating something different for everyone - though my skills are pretty much limited to cross-stitch and crochet. I honestly think that everyone appreciates my efforts, and the things that I make are "tailored" to the individual. I love seeing people's faces when they open something that I have spent a lot of time and energy making.

Most of my craftiness go to my Mom. She loves the stuff. Her house is decorated with a slightly eclectic taste, and my random stitchings and paintings and creations-gone-wrong fit right in. Most of the things I make are Christmasy in nature, but she leaves them out all year round anyway. When I'm not crafting for my Mom, I'm making things for the kids. Each kid has at least one afghan, and I cross-stitched each child's birth announcement (Gabriel's is Raggedy Andy, Elliott's is the bunny from "Guess How Much I Love You", and Janna's is a Care Bear). I also made each kid a plastic canvas wind chime, and I'm working on stockings for next year. Crafty Courtney. That's me.

All of my nieces and nephews have had blankets made for them, and last year everyone got scarves to match their winter coats. My Dad and brothers haven't received many handmade gifties from me, but that's only because I haven't got a clue what to make them. Last year I made my Dad and Beth a Christmasy striped granny square afghan (they loved it), and Devin got a huge granny-rectangle afghan in Penn State colors (also loved by the recipient). I haven't got a clue what to make for Zak, but I made his son, Connor, a blankie to match his diaper bag. Again...Crafty Girl!!

I've received a few handmade gifts here and there, mostly handmade Raggedy Ann dolls that my Mom has found in her travels. My friend, Jennifer made me an adorable purse last year, and Erin made me a cute little cross-stitch magnet - just because. The kids color me pictures and make drawings, but I haven't gotten anything actually handmade by them as a gift yet. Jon has, though. The kids make him all kinds of cute things for his birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas. They like to craft as much as I do, and the Big Hosers have already asked when they can start trying to "croo-chet" and make "plastic square things (plastic canvas)".

I have a few handmade gifts for this Christmas, but the three kids have been keeping me pretty busy. But if you're extra-special nice to me, maybe you'll get something handmade by me this year, too! Until then, enjoy the lovely slide below - it's comprised of my favorite gifts...mostly afghans.



This post is brought to you by the Parent Bloggers Network and Klutz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew how to make stuff like that!!

Karen

Anonymous said...

I have been very GOOD!!!!!!

Courtney said...

Who's been good? You gotta tell me your name...

Anonymous said...

I love handmade stuff! My hubby's grandmother make stuff all the time and I love LOVE it :) It is a super special gift !!