Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Day of School!!

So call me a PPE (piss poor excuse) for a parent, but around here? The first day of school is nothing for me to cry about. It's not even something worth sniveling over.

Not a single tear has been shed over any of the first days of school my kidlets have had. When I sent Gabriel to preschool on that very first day in 2007 - there were no tears. My precious bay-bee (can you hear my sarcastic whine?) was growing up. And when I sent his little butt to UPK...then to Kindergarten...and then this year to first grade...no tears. He's growing into such an independent little man...how could I cry about that?


There were no tears when I sent Elliott to preschool...or to UPK. And when I put her on the bus this morning for her first official day of Kindergarten, there wasn't even a small sniff of sadness. She was so excited to get on the bus. And (as a 4th generation college graduate who loved school) how could I be sad when school is the only thing she talks about?


Next week Janna goes to preschool. And I already know that no tears will be shed. She is more excited about going to preschool than the other two were - which is pretty excited!! (I'll post her first day of school pic next week!!)

As far as I'm concerned, sending my kids to school isn't a sad occasion. Sure it's bittersweet, but when I had kids I knew that they were going to grow up. Sure I'm going to get all weepy-eyed when I look back over old pictures, or reminisce about when they were small. But right now? Watching them grow up into beautiful, intelligent, independent, strong-willed, opinionated, and loving mini-adults makes me beam from ear-to-ear.

No comments: