Wednesday, August 11, 2010

600 Minutes

That's the goal we (the kids and I) set for our Summer Reading Goal. And...WE MADE IT! I'm so excited! Maybe a little too excited. Maybe more excited than I should be. But I can't help it!

Our local library is fantastic. Totally underutilized, but still fantastic. I signed the kids up for the reading program on June 23, and we went in to get our last weeks' prizes today. The kids met - even exceeded - their goal!! And the entire 6 weeks isn't even up yet!

I figured Gabriel would be the kid to beat because he loves to read...but he wanted nothing to do with it. Or rather, he wanted nothing to do with me. I had to beg and plead with him to read (or be read to), but he finally finished. His total? 605 minutes.

Janna loves being read to. She brings me books all day long. Her total: 666 minutes.

Elliott was a girl possessed this summer! All she wanted to do was read - and her books of choice have been by Laura Ingalls Wilder! I had to pry her nose out of books so she could play/eat/sleep. I am so proud of her!! Her total? 753 minutes!!

The main reason I'm so stoked about this is that I love to read (and I've read almost 60 books this year). The kids see someone reading an actual book all the time. And I think that's so important. Reading has always been such a huge part of my life, and I love that my kids seem to love it just as much as I do. And I am beyond thrilled that they beg each and every day to go to the library.

1 comment:

Bama Cheryl said...

How dense am I? I actually just checked on a calculator to see how many hours 600 minutes was. Duh... Great accomplishment for all of you! Awesome!