Monday, August 25, 2008

Leaving On A Jet Plane...Or In A Dodge Grand Caravan

Today was our MOMS Club field trip to the Airport. Aren't we cute??

Gabriel and Elliott showing off their dirty piggies! We got to put our shoes on the luggage belt so the kids could see how stuff goes around and around in circles. They loved it!

The kids were very good, and they listened moderately well. I was pleased with their behavior. And mine, too. As part of our tour we got to go through security. I will never do that again without the aid of another non-kid carrying adult. (Sorry, Dad. I will not be bringing three kids down to see you alone. It just might kill me.) Jennifer took Gabriel and Elliott through with her three kids, but one of the security dudes yelled at Elliott for not taking her shoes off. Pathetic isn't even a word to describe her after that. She was afraid to move. She was afraid of the wand-waving guy, too. She got over it, but was still kind of upset. I realize that the guards are there for a reason. But come on. She's 2. 2!! There is no need for any child in that situation to be yelled at. We weren't flying anywhere, and she's little.

My other issue with security was that they threw away and and all drinks that were not in sippy cups or bottles. Again, I realize that those rules are in place for a reason. But when we go places, we take juice boxes. That way I don't get all kinds of pissed off when a cup gets lost (sippy cips are damned expensive! And of course my kids will only willingly carry one that is emblazoned with Dora or Thomas). Last year when we took this tour, we were able to put all of our bags and strollers in a locked room. This year we carried them all with us (we were also supposed to be able to eat lunch in one of the many pilot's areas - didn't happen). I honestly didn't even think about what forms of liquid were acceptable when I packed lunches. I thought that since we were on a field trip, it wouldn't matter a whole lot. Most of the other Moms there shared my thoughts, and all of their drinks (and yogurts) were thrown out. The throwing out of unopened juice boxes always leads to at least two things: 1) screaming kids, and 2) pissed-off Moms. Oh well. Such is life. Good thing I carry juice boxes in the van at all times.

So, as I said before, the kids were good, and they had a good time. When we were pulling in to the parking lot, a plane took off and Gabriel was so excited. We got out of the van and he asked me very seriously if we were getting on a plane today. I told him I didn't think so, and he asked if we could buy some tickets. Um, no. Not today. He proceeded to tell me that we didn't need Daddy or clothing to fly to see Gram and Gramps. We could just go, call Daddy when we got there, and then go shopping for the stuff we would need. Elliott got all excited at the thought, too, and had to be told that no, we weren't going to Florida today. Ok, she said. But she let me know that when we got home we were calling Gramps to tell him that we needed some tickets. She's awake now (from a very awesome nap), and she's asking for my cell phone.

So, no plane rides today. But we did get to go home in the van - which is still super-exciting for the kids. Why, I don't know. We've had it for months now, but they are still enamored with it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Not to change the subject or anything, but there are a number of items that have been bugging me as of late. So since I am already ruining my kids by blogging (this idiotic notion is one of the said items), I will add them to this post.

1) Elections. I just don't care. And that may make me a very bad American, or some sort of mindless drone, but I don't care. I grew up in a Republican household (headed by a mouthy woman), and I am sick and tired of hearing about the pros and cons of McCain and/or Obama. Sorry, Mom. I just don't care. And don't judge me because I don't care. I will be voting in November, and my vote may or may not make a difference. The reason I don't care right now is that I don't honestly think that either McCain or Obama are going to make the changes that need to me made. I haven't got a clue who can, but I am siding with who I think will make the best of the situation. Again, sorry Mom.

2) Blogging ruining my kids. (This has been bothering me for a long time now.) What? Are you kidding me? How in the world is this ruining my kids? How is my computing taking anything away from my kids? 95% of the time they are napping (or in bed for the night) when I am blogging. The other 5% of the time they are entertaining themselves with books and toys. Why shouldn't I revel in a moment of piece and quiet? How is my use of Facebook having an adverse effect on Gabriel, Elliott, or Janna? Talking to friends that I have had for 26 years is really thoughtless of me. My bad.

I realize that as a SAHM I am judged by how much I do with and for my kids. And the people doing the judging are typically other SAHMs. That being said, I don't need to defend myself - I know I'm a good Mom. While I don't have my kids' days planned down to the last waking minute, I do all kinds of fun things with them. I don't have them enrolled in countless classes because I think it's better for them to be kids while they're still kids. Shouldn't they wait until they're in their 40s to be burnt out?

I don't know about the other Moms out there, but my main mode of communication is email. It's damned near impossible to talk on the phone with three exuberant toddlers running/crawling all over the place. I also use blogging as a means of staying in touch - my family and friends can read about our daily lives. Every single blog I read is penned by a SAHM. With the exception of a few family members, almost all of my "friends" on MySpace and Facebook (yes, I am a 13th grader) are SAHMs. Ladies - I hope you all realize that you are ruining your kiddos, too.

The reason I blog is so that my friends and family can get a glimpse of my life. My imperfect life. I don't pretend things are better than they are. I don't pretend that my kids are infallible. I don't pretend to be something I'm not, and I am the first person to admit my short-comings. I am not posting because I have some sort of deluded sense of self-importance. I blog because I can. Because it relieves stress. Because there have got to be other people out there dealing with the same struggles I am facing. What's wrong with finding new friends? Isn't that a good thing? I joined MOMS Club so I could get to know other Moms in my situation. Did I harm my kids by doing that? Social networking (be it for personal or professional reasons, be it in person or online) is a good thing for me. I don't deserve to be judged for it.

3) Cellphones. I hate them. Really. I have one, and I use it. But I hate myself every time I pick it up. I hate having to deal with the rudeness of people using the things in my presence. I hate it when people are talking loudly on them in stores and restaurants. It makes me insane. I want to create some sort of hand-held cellphone-heat-seeking missile launcher. The missiles would somehow hit the annoying person's phone and destroy it (of course without causing harm to the dolt holding it).

I also hate the carelessness with which some people Jon treat their phones. Putting them through the washing machine isn't a good thing. How do you not remember that it's in your pocket? It's not that small. And how do you keep forgetting that you have to go buy a new one? Like now?

4) Capri Pants. I have hated capri pants forever. And yet I wear them (though in my defense, I only have one pair of them, and they are super-cute). I think the main reason I hate them is because there must be some sort of unwritten law that if you are a Mom you have to wear them. Today's airport trip was a solid confirmation of that notion. Of the 7 Moms there, 6 of them were wearing capri pants. I was one of them.

5) Vera Bradley, Barbie, Little People, Disney Music, and Fiber One Oats and Strawberries w/Almond bars. I realize that I shouldn't be annoyed with you (it's not your fault), but why do you have to be so damned addicting?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I Agree what did fiber one put in the bars

Anonymous said...

Oh how I want to write a book back to you!

First, you look GREAT! Look at you all cute in your capri pants LOL LOL....

Second, I am SO jealous of your Mom's Club!! That is so good for you as a SAHM and also for your kids to be around other kids! KUDOS girl!

Third, I must say that I am just like you....really, not just saying that. I love your little blurb on the elections. As soon as it comes on tv, I click it over. I don't care either. I think it is overrated!

Fourth, WHO THE HELL is making a big deal out of your blogging?? You are a great mom(even though I only know you as a "blogger".) i can tell and get a good sense that you love your children and do WHATEVER you can to spend time with them and give them what they need and want. Your blogging is a way to vent your Mommy frustrations and note all the cool things about what your kids do at the age they are at! I say BLOG AWAY girl!

I love this blog of yours! Thanks for such a great read today!

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

I second lish.

I almost ALWAYS feel guilty about my blog. Like it's my dirty little secret. I don't tell many people, of whom, I dont' think would "get me." YOu know? My readers are those who ventured on their own or heard about me etc. I always worry I'll have to HAVE SOME SORT OF SMACK DOWN : and have this debate with someone. I'm pretty certain both you and I and all those other great mommy bloggers: have done for mommying" what Oprah did for knowledge and information via t.v.
Enough with Oprah: all hail BLOGGERS.
I'll be the first to admit that my children are somewhat neglected at times when I am bloggin. What this means: they don't get what they want IMMEDIATELY when they ask. Too bad so sad. I have a life. I am a good mom and so are you. :)

enjoy and keep bloggin! It's what the COOL people do.

Psshht.. ca.
Stupid .. non blogger complainers.

SMACK DOWN 08

LOL
d

Anonymous said...

See you got back up girl! :) Keep blogging...which by the way...I keep checking back waiting to read a good one :)