Friday, October 3, 2008

Good Times!

I'm back! Didja miss me? I spent the first part of the week in PA with Janna and my pal Jennifer. Jen had a conference at the hospital where my Mom works, so I went along for the ride. It was a nice, relaxing trip. Janna is so easy to travel with. She's so content (even without a decent nap or a good night's sleep).

We got back Tuesday night, and I was so excited to see my Big Hosers and husband. Aside from hospital stays, I have never left the kids for more than a few hours. They were glad to see me, too.

All that gladness and excitement? Pretty sure it wore off sometime on Wednesday morning. Jon informed me on Tuesday evening that the Big Kids were both having some issues at school. Apparently both of them are over-excited when they get there, and that leads to all kinds of obnoxiousness. I know, you're probably saying to yourself, "Courtney's kids? Obnoxious? Never." But yep. Obnoxious they are. Gabriel likes to blurt/yell out answers in class instead of waiting patiently with his hand raised. He also likes to be the center of attention. Elliott has the same problems - yelling, needing a ton of attention - but she has another issue. She likes to leave. She finishes her crafts, and then she tries to leave the classroom. So we've been talking about the need for patience and listening skills. I talked with both of their teachers, and the end of this week went well.

Sleep woes are also a huge part of the reason that the gladness/excitement has worn off. Janna didn't sleep well while we were in PA, and now she doesn't think she has to sleep at all. Her naps have gone from a daily total of over 4 hours (one hour in the a.m. and 3+ hours in the p.m.) to a piddly 1.5 hours. She doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 usually, and then she's up around 6. She's growing more miserable as the days go on. Elliott's lack of sleep leads to Janna's. E doesn't like to stay in her own bed. So she wanders and she picks. She usually gets a spank to the bottom, as well. Gabriel has also started having an issue with napping. His issue? He no longer does it. And it's killing me. I NEED nap-time. It's a necessity. And it hasn't gone well this week at all. Needless to say, I am annoyed. And I have a ginormous headache.

So...the lack of sleeping needs to change. So does the amount of sass/back-talk/attitude that the kids give. Elliott is the worst of all. She's so whiny, and she's manipulative to boot. She plays Jon and I against each other. While she almost never succeeds in getting what she wants, she totally succeeds in pissing us both off. Gabriel has gotten much better since school started, but he's still got quite the mouth on him. Even Janna has started with the nastiness. She says "No!" far too much for a Girly of her age, and she's taken to hitting.

Good times at my house this week. Good times. Jon's traveling again for part of next week, so I can only imagine what it will be like...

No comments: