Googe is a word my friends and I made up in high school (if you Google it, you will get a list of Urban Dictionary definitions - mine isn't on there). Googe encompasses many, many things - solids, liquids, whatever. If I couldn't figure out a name for it (or if I couldn't remember the proper name), it became googe. And I think it's a great word. Googe. Say it. "Goooooooooge". Awesome, isn't it?
Most medicines are known around here (and at my Mom's) as googe. The reason? When I was in 9th grade, I was playing volley ball in gym class. I never wore my glasses (do you know how much trouble my sorry ass would have been in if they had gotten broken???) , and inadvertently, athletically-inclined me (can you sense the sarcasm?) got hit in the face with the ball. I got sent to the nurse. The eye was fine, but the nurse called my Mom to pick me up. I had to go to the doctor and have note signed saying that I had been there, and that I was going to live. My Mom was pissed. PISSED. The trip was useless, too. I really was fine, but just to be sure, Dr. D. put drops in my eye. And thus, the phrase "god-given googe" was born. Had it not been for those drops, my eye probably wouldn't have made it (again...are you sensing my sarcasm?).
So. Medicines and such are called googe. The really good ones...the ones that actually work? God-given googe. Right now, honey is the g-g googe in this house. My kids have colds. Accompanying the colds is a nasty cough. And since the episode with Elliott, I am really not inclined (the pediatrician is very happy with this decision) to give the kids any kind of cold medicine. While I was in the doc's office yesterday (Elliott has 1.5 ear infections), I noticed the flyer from a study conducted at Penn State about the usefulness of honey in calming kids' coughs. So I asked Dr. Y. She said it was a good remedy. So I tried it. OMG. My kids slept all night. Without coughing. It was awesome. They started up again at lunch time, so I gave them more honey. Nap time? Was amazing. All three kids slept (or were quiet) for 3+ hours. Not a single cough was heard. I'm sold. Honey really is g-g googe.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lisha tagged me earlier today in her "Honest Scrap" post. Thanks!! I feel so special!
The honorees are to:
A) First list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!
B) Pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.
Here goes!
1) I didn't get my driver's license til I was 20. I drove my first car (a 1994 Olds) from the Summer of 1998 until the Spring of 2008.
2) I met my husband online. While this isn't really a secret, I think it's kind of cool. Jon and I lived maybe 15 miles apart for our entire lives. And never knew each other until I IM'd him in the Fall of 1997.
3) There are days when I seriously regret having kids.
4) Secretly, I want a dog. I don't know why (because I don't like them), but I really want one. A small one. Or a big one. That's fluffy. And nice to kids.
5) I once slid down my front yard on my face. If look closely at the right side of my nose, you can see what's left of the scar.
6) I pretty much saved my Dad's life by telling him to wear his seat belt when we were in the car together when I was 5. Less than a minute after I told him to put it on, we were in a nasty accident.
7) I can't stand stupidity, blatant rudeness (unless it's coming out of my own mouth for a good reason), malapropism (again, unless it's coming out of my mouth), and pretentiousness.
8) My two very favorite meals are cream cheese and olive sandwiches - preferably on pita bread, and dippy eggs and toast with Worcestershire sauce.
9) I think about my grandmother (she died in 1996) at least once a day.
10) I absolutely hate the moles on my face. They are the one thing that I have always been (and probably always be) self-conscious about.
Honorees (please forgive me if my honor is a repeat. I'm lacking in the blogging friends department):
Erin, Katie, Debby, Alicia, Cheryl, Liz, and Jennifer.
2 comments:
Nothing like the miraculous healing powers of g-g googe. You left out the part that when the school called, I begged them to let you come home on the bus and was most likely judged to be an unfit parent. And when I picked you up, I expected to see blood and gore...couldn't even tell which eye got hit. I love you...Mom
whoo hooo! I'm proud to be tagged! My first time!
Love your mom's comment. When Erin was in junior/senior high, I finally put a rule in place that unless she was running a fever or tossing bodily fluids (and both/either could be verified) she had to go back to class. Tough love!
Post a Comment