...so here it is. A lovely picture of my hair (Forgive my self portrait. I suck at these). For those of you who know me in the "real" world, you are probably saying something like, "Uh, Courtney? It looks exactly the same." And to this I say, "On the contrary. It looks similar. Not the same."I have naturally curly hair. It's frizzy and heavy. My Mom insisted that it be kept short until I was old enough to take care of it myself. So short it was until I was 15. It took a long time to grow out, and when it finally did, it created quite a stir. My Grandmother gushed over it - "It's all hers," she would say (and I wondered who else's it could have been). I literally became popular overnight. It was insane. And thus began the road to learning to love (ok, like) curly hair.
I never know what to do with it, and therefore it is usually pulled up in some sort of ugly bun-type thing or ponytail. It's just not pretty. I tend to keep the same style when I get it cut - longish layers that are able to be pulled up. It takes a lot of product to create a good hair day. Most of the time, it looks ooo-kay...a little crispy, but under control for the most part. Even when I'm having a GHD, I still feel like there are giant neon arrows pointing down at my head. So when I heard about a free haircut from one of the top salons in the area, I jumped at it. The girl who was in charge of my new "do" was awesome. And she did a great job. She used a razor for the entire cut, which was pretty neat. Instead of doing long layers all over my head, she cut out large sections of bulky hair. Then she added a few layers here and there to create shape (it used to look like a giant pyramid). She cut about 4 inches off the length, and it feels amazing.
Amazing isn't usually a word I use to describe my hair. My locks generate a lot of unwanted attention. When I was in high school, girls used to pet me. It was annoying. It's still annoying. Aside from touching my children without permission, hair touching is the number one offense I can think of. People ask me if I pay for my hair-do and color. I have been asked if I need a comb to tame its bushiness. My Mom has a short version of the same hair, and people stop her all the time, too. Most people mean well - they honestly like the hair. Others are idiots and don't realize that what they say is hurtful.
So, at age 30 I have finally grown to at least like my hair. I have a great cut, the color is nice (though I would love it if there was less grey), and it is all mine.
4 comments:
*wolf whistle* It looks great!
I also have to deal with the triangle/pyramid hair thing and I HATE IT. I got a haircut one time and Mike told me I looked like the triangle hair lady from Dilbert. It's a wonder the man is alive today.
How is Janna-banana feeling? Hopefully better.
I'm coming down or up is it?? where are you?? lol
Anyways I'm comign up /down just to touch your hair and p you off. :)
Looks BEAUTIFUL!
You look great! The self portrait is AWESOME!! it feels so weird at first but can become quite addicting! lol....As you can see on my blog...ahahahha.....
Anyway back to the hair...i had a friend in HS who had the prettiest brown naturally curly hair and I LOVED IT...we were always so jealous cuz in the 90s as you know perms were big and she never had to pay for hers! heheheheh....but we did and ours never EVER looked as gorgeous as hers did. She had similar issues with frizziness and what not... but in the long run she fell in love with what she had just like you. I think you look stunning! :) ONE HOT MAMA!! :) Wanna join our HOT MAMA club?? :) You can dance on the bar tops with us! LOL...see my blog
FAB-U-LOUS! Having known you (and your hair) for 25 years, I definitely see the difference! You can tell that defined curls exist underneath instead of bushiness. The hair shape is great, which shows off your adorable face shape. Kudos to your sylist!
Keelie
Post a Comment